• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

Finding Your Way Through a Crowd of Cellular Faces

People walking in New York are distracted by their phones as life flies around them.

Katie Balding, Reporter

Today’s millennials all over the world are the face of a technological revolution. We can learn to navigate a new app within an hour, become accustomed to new smartphones easily, find locktight ways to protect stored info, and share parts of our lives with the touch of a finger.

But students entering the workforce with no social and emotional skills have difficulty being successful as adults. What will we do after college? Will we be prepared to enter a world full of technology rather than using hands on skills? What will we do if we can’t get a job because of a lack of high tech knowledge?

In a time where computers have taken over, we are rising to adulthood during a period of instability wherein people have essentially become walking computers. Though technology has and currently promotes growths in medicine and knowledge as a whole, not only does it aid in terrorism and developing methods of war, but causes major emotional and developmental problems in children and teens.

While cell phones and computers take over, the millennials immersed in it don’t pay attention to things happening in the world, because “people spend too much time on technology,” said junior Emily Rosenberger. This causes a general lack of understanding on global issues and current events, and will fog our views on issues because of our lack of interest and knowledge. When it is our turn to run the world, we may not have the skills to  make the best political, economical and environmental decisions, because we will lack the prior exposure and understanding of these issues needed as we obliviously tap away on a screen or keyboard.

Youths constantly focused on technology will not enter the workforce successfully. According to Bloomberg News, a website dedicated to reporting real, current problems in the world, “Generation Y professionals entering the U.S. workforce are finding careers that were once gateways to high pay and upwardly mobile lives turning into detours and dead ends.”

Today’s youth generation having such a hard time in the workforce correlates directly to their reliance solely on technology. Jennifer Aaker, a professor at the Stanford Graduate School of Business, and co-founder of “The Dragonfly Effect,” found that over the past ten years, empathy in young people has had a sharp decrease due to technology. Studies show that irritability has risen and general kindness has declined, proving today’s millennials lack social skills needed to be successful.

Pertaining to the future of our generation, sophomore Zach Palmo thinks that “we might ruin society,” and that our children “are going to be raised in a society potentially worse than ours,”.

Based on the downhill slope the youth generation currently travels, we should put the phones, laptops, and tablets down, and go outside, talk with friends in person, and overall be more physically interactive for the sake of future generations. Otherwise, according to junior Dristin Jackson, “They will also be lost,”.

• Finding Your Way Through a Crowd of Cellular Faces

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

Showcase

Evan Lowery

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

Opinion

Price of Global Warming