• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

Johnson Joins 1000 Point Club

Jamiyah Johnson receives her thousand point ball after the game.

Kevin Mooney, Sports & Feature Editor

After starting for the Lady Eagles the past three years, junior Jamiyah Johnson has joined the select few girls who belong to Jamestown’s 1000 Point Club.

Jamestown’s ladies varsity basketball team had one of the most successful seasons in the team’s history. With their win on February 18, the first game in the conference tournament, they have made it the furthest into the postseason out of any Jamestown girls basketball team in four years.

Coached by Mary Glisan, Jamiyah Johnson has supported the Eagles all season long, reaching the achievement of 1000 career points, and just as a junior.

“Jamiyah is the first player I have coached to reach the 1000 point club,” Glisan said. “She was key to us this season because we could count on her scoring in double figures and getting double figures in rebounds as well.”

Johnson started playing basketball at five years old. “I’ve always had the height advantage, so my parents thought I’d be good at basketball,” she said. She’s been playing ever since, and has made the varsity team every year.

Jamiyah said the inspiration to play basketball came from her mother, who also played in her youth. “She’s my biggest fan,” Johnson said. “She hasn’t missed a game of mine to date.”

Jamestown’s girls varsity basketball team had one of the most successful seasons in the team’s history. With their win on February 18, the first game in the conference tournament, they have made it the furthest into the postseason out of any Jamestown girls basketball team in four years.

With consecutive wins over over Denbigh and Heritage, the Eagles improved their record to 15 and 7, as well as becoming conference champions for the first time in school history.

When Johnson scored her 1000th point, she became the third player in school history to achieve the accomplishment. “When the game started I was only three points away,” she said. “But when I did it, it was like the entire team, including the coaches and fans, were just as happy as I was. I felt like I was on top of the world.”

Johnson not only shined in her performance, but she also shows sportsmanship on and off the court. “She is an unselfish player,” Coach Glisan said, “but is also not afraid to take the responsibility to make things happen.”

Jamiyah was also the only non-senior captain on the team. Glisan said, “I think she is a terrific basketball player, but more importantly, I think she is a terrific person.”

• Johnson Joins 1000 Point Club

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• Johnson Joins 1000 Point Club

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• Johnson Joins 1000 Point Club

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

• Johnson Joins 1000 Point Club

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• Johnson Joins 1000 Point Club

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• Johnson Joins 1000 Point Club

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• Johnson Joins 1000 Point Club

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

• Johnson Joins 1000 Point Club

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• Johnson Joins 1000 Point Club

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• Johnson Joins 1000 Point Club

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

Johnson Joins 1000 Point Club