• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

Stomp Your Feet to the Beat

Cast+rehearsing+one+of+the+musical+numbers.+
Cast rehearsing one of the musical numbers.

Photo credit: Madison Cooper.

Photo credit: Madison Cooper.

Jasmine Willis, Reporter

Kick off your shoes and cut “Footloose” for this spring’s musical brought to you by Jamestown’s theater students. This performance of “Footloose,” running March 24, 25 and 26, is bound to appeal to teenagers with its combination of singing, dancing, humor, and high school drama that students can relate to.

Directed by Harvey Stone, Jamestown’s theater teacher, “Footloose’s” 70 cast and crew members, including the orchestra, are working hard to create an amazing show for the audience to enjoy and remember for more than just one night.

Mr. Stone said that he chose “Footloose,” a musical based on the original 1984 motion picture, because of its familiarity with this generation and the excitement of the students who were auditioning for it. Though he does not personally relate to any of the characters himself, he said that many students will. He thinks the character of Willard seems to be the most relatable, and that the audience will also appreciate the plays irony.

“It is a show about dancing where they aren’t allowed to dance, so the show involves different scenes where music is playing and the characters are moving, yet it is not considered dancing,” Mr. Stone explained.

Senior Savannah Winslow, who plays the starring role of Ariel Moore, is excited for everyone to see the cast perform next week. In her opinion, “Footloose” is relatable because “we’re all high schoolers wanting to do (things) in a small town.”

Though she originally auditioned for the role of Rusty Rodriguez, Ariel’s best friend, Winslow is very pleased with landing the lead. She challenges all members of the audience to find “the hidden message in this show,” which she finds more exciting than your average musical.

Senior Sam Walter plays as Chuck Cranston, Ariel’s original boyfriend, and finds his character relatable because “he does not subscribe to the rules of society.”

The choreography is fun, yet physically demanding for the cast, and the music is a little more pop than most theater musicals. Both Winslow and Walter find this cast easy to get along with and eager to work hard.

The director, cast and crew members are all ecstatic to show their fellow peers, along with friends and family outside of Jamestown, the work they are putting in to give the audience a show worth watching, including the best musical numbers that will make the audience want to dance along with the actors on stage.

• Stomp Your Feet to the Beat

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• Stomp Your Feet to the Beat

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• Stomp Your Feet to the Beat

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

• Stomp Your Feet to the Beat

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• Stomp Your Feet to the Beat

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• Stomp Your Feet to the Beat

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• Stomp Your Feet to the Beat

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

• Stomp Your Feet to the Beat

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• Stomp Your Feet to the Beat

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• Stomp Your Feet to the Beat

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

Stomp Your Feet to the Beat