• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

The Arts are Among Us

Past projects of the art club over the years Mrs. Brophy has kept for decoration around her room.

Bryan Lewis, Reporter

Since kindergarten, we have been taught not to destroy books, no matter what. No ripping, no coloring, no shredding. Well, the members of the Art Club evidently haven’t learned this lesson. Their current art project specifically requires them to destroy – or as they contend, “repurpose” books.

The current project in Art Club is what art teacher Carol Brophy calls an “altered book.” This book consists of recycled books, like old encyclopedias, and repurposes them with a variety of mediums, like paper mache, paint, crayons, and colored pencils. To add a personal touch, they also add pictures from home and small knick-knacks of their past to these books to essentially make a scrapbook of memories and things they enjoy.

Mrs. Brophy does her best to use a variety of mediums, such as charcoal, clay, colored pencil, pastels, and pencil. “More mediums means the students have more ways to express themselves,” says Mrs. Brophy.

According to Mrs. Brophy, Art Club is designed for students wanting to learn about art styles and tips, but not have something as structured as a class. She wishes, however, that more students would participate in Art Club.

“It’s hard in today’s society to keep young adults on focus and consistently showing up.” Mrs. Brophy said. “Their lives are so consumed by other things that they just don’t have time for Art Club.”

To be in Art Club, there are no requirements or prerequisites. However, to join there is an $8 fee for art supplies. Mrs. Brophy said that she likes to recycle art supplies as well as everyday things, like common household items for her students. Most of the projects students create, if possible, are made from these recycled materials. “You can’t really run out of things to make with recycled bottles,” senior Art Club president Julia Cornelius said.

Cornelius, who has been a member since her freshman year, says that art hobbyists will enjoy the setting. “[It’s] very laid back with good background music and good people.”, Cornelius said. “A place to improve art skills while doing crafty art projects and a creative outlet for students who come,” Essentially, Art Club is a place where participants can sit with friends and work on their projects.

In addition, Mrs. Brophy teaches fundamentals and tips for each project using her several years of teaching experience and skill.

Art Club meets every other Tuesday for an hour to an hour and a half and ends in plenty of time for members to catch the 4:15 activity bus.

• The Arts are Among Us

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• The Arts are Among Us

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• The Arts are Among Us

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

• The Arts are Among Us

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• The Arts are Among Us

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• The Arts are Among Us

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• The Arts are Among Us

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

• The Arts are Among Us

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• The Arts are Among Us

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• The Arts are Among Us

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

The Arts are Among Us