• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

Students Of The Working Class

Williamsburg Premium Outlets where many students hold jobs

Ethan Holcomb, Opinion Editor

Although students like the extra jingle in their pockets, juggling a job and school can easily lead to a loss of a significant amount of time. In order to have a job, students often sacrifice many opportunities considered part of the high school experience.

With a job, those sacrifices can  include social opportunities and academic needs. “Working almost everyday after school really affects how much time I can spend with friends and doing school work,” said junior Josh Visser, who lifeguards at Williamsburg Landing. Some students can work as much as 25-30 hour work weeks and lose valuable time that need to complete school work, forcing them to stay up late or do poorly on assignments or homework.

Numerous students use their time by focusing on their schoolwork or by focusing on sports, but by holding a job in high school it may help in the future. Holding a job in high school can help with college applications, can help with the big question about what students want to study,  or how to manage money, and it can help them explore what kind of career they want to follow in the future, according to http://www.ecampustours.com/, a website dedcated to helping with all sorts of college needs.

Many students work in order to purchase their first car or to have extra spending money. “I regularly spend my money on gas, food, clothes, sometimes spending a larger amount on athletic equipment,” said junior Alle Plourde, who works at the Kingsmill Resort.  A study by the University Of Michigan showed that only 17 percent of student workers save money for future college. More than 70 percent spend it on themselves.

Teenage careers are limited by age restriction and  experience, leaving  fewer and fewer options available. Another major reason for students to not work while in high school is due to a lack of transportation to and from work. Teenagers, especially underclassmen, may want a job but without a reliable ride they can not commit to a part time job.

Some students like junior Ryan Devine, prefer not to work during the school year and only has a job during the summer months.“The reason I do not have a job year round is because for most of the school year I am involved in sports,” said Ryan who lifeguards during the summer. Devine understands that  Extracurricular activities take up a significant amount of time during a school year, leaving little time to responsibly devote to a job.

Jamestown students work jobs ranging from fast food retail, car washing, the movie theater and fitness centers. In addition to businesses in the area, students also earn money by babysitting, mowing lawns and even tutoring.  

By an adolescent committing to a job, it can provide real world experience through hands-on situations while preparing for the future as a working adult. “While working this summer I learned work ethic, and that in order to have a job, I needed to have good people skills” said senior Catherine Page.

• Students Of The Working Class

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• Students Of The Working Class

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• Students Of The Working Class

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

• Students Of The Working Class

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• Students Of The Working Class

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• Students Of The Working Class

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• Students Of The Working Class

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

• Students Of The Working Class

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• Students Of The Working Class

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• Students Of The Working Class

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

Students Of The Working Class