• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

Athletes Score Big with Commitments

Setting+up+for+signing+night+
Setting up for signing night

Setting up for signing night

Setting up for signing night

Emily Spence, Reporter

Jamestown High School prides itself with the success of its students and the prosperity of its sports. Athletes in baseball, volleyball, soccer, swimming and track & field have chosen to commit to continue their sports in college.

The swimming and volleyball teams combined have had five commitments overall. The youngest to commit from the volleyball team, sophomore Emma Schriner has verbally committed to play at The University of Tennessee in the fall of 2018.

Schriner had offers from several schools including West Virginia University and The University of Pittsburgh. “I chose Tennessee because I had a feeling there that I didn’t have anywhere else and I knew that Tennessee is where I belonged,” Schriner said.

Senior Evan Lowery decided to play baseball at the Naval Academy in Maryland, where he will be majoring in Aerospace Engineering. “When I was younger I would watch the College World Series, and I decided that I wanted to hopefully play in it one day,” Lowery said.  “The Naval Academy is strongly rounded around engineering, so majoring in that and playing on the team would be much easier there.”

Like Lowery, baseball players Garrick Colorado, Christopher Jones, and Kent Klyman have also chosen to commit to play baseball in college.

In the swimming department, senior Margaret Williams committed her next four years to swim at The College of William & Mary. “I chose William & Mary because of the balance they have between academics and athletics, and I felt like I fit most with their team,” Williams explained. “Committing early is such a stress reliever. I’ve known since October where I was going to college, and that has made my senior year so much more enjoyable.”  Other members of the swim team who are swimming in college are Ryan Boll and Colin Wright.

In the track and field division, senior Cameron Coates will be running at The University of Mary Washington in the fall of 2016. “I chose the school because they have a great Psychology department,” Coates said. “I wanted to attend a school that had a great atmosphere of learning and a great social life.”

Coates committed during his last leg of his senior year season this spring. “Their team is getting built up to be stronger and more competitive. They’re planning on a lot of success for the coming years,” Coates said.

Meanwhile, in the soccer department, junior Page Frantz has verbally committed to play soccer at The College of William & Mary in the fall of 2017. Until then, Frantz will continue playing for her travel team, Richmond United. Senior  Kyle Wade also has recently chosen to commit himself to playing soccer at Randolph College.

With Jamestown’s 12 commitments thus far, the school hopes to uphold its tradition in students continuing on to play sports at the collegiate level.

• Athletes Score Big with Commitments

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• Athletes Score Big with Commitments

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• Athletes Score Big with Commitments

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

• Athletes Score Big with Commitments

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• Athletes Score Big with Commitments

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• Athletes Score Big with Commitments

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• Athletes Score Big with Commitments

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

• Athletes Score Big with Commitments

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• Athletes Score Big with Commitments

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• Athletes Score Big with Commitments

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

Athletes Score Big with Commitments