• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

Technology Vs. Education

Junior Abigail Culverhouse plays on phone while teacher is giving instruction.

Maddie Cooper, Reporter

Teachers are finding that their students seem to be more interested in what is happening on a small screen rather than what they are being taught right in front of them. “Phones have become an extension of the arm,” math teacher Joseph Sanzo said. “They have destroyed the student’s ability to think independently.”

The cell phone epidemic is taking over, and it is up to the students and teachers to determine whether it will be beneficial, or if it will bring down the academic standards at school.

Adults claim that kids are on their phone most of the time, rather than interacting with the people around them. More often than not, this is found to be true. “Yes, I use my phone in class,” sophomore Maci Flowers admits. “I like to focus on that more than school work.”

A 2015 study reported by CNN said that a group of  91 schools have adopted a more strict cell phone policy since 2001 and it has resulted in their average test scores improving by 14 percent. This policy demonstrated that implementing harsh restrictions when it comes to students using their cell phones can benefit students and their grades.

What the study did not take into account, however, is how taking away cell phones can negatively affect the school environment and academic excellence.

Both teachers and students at Jamestown think that getting rid of cell phone use completely would be too drastic of a change for the school as a motive toward improving grades. “I don’t think that we should not allow them [cell phones], because that goes against the freedom that we enjoy, and this is a tool that is important,” French teacher Marie Ashworth said. “I don’t deny the importance of the tool. What I say is that there is a time and a place for it.”

As many inconveniences that phones appear to bring to the classrooms, they can be beneficial if used in the right ways.  “In my German class, if I feel like I need to translate better or use a calculator, I will use my phone for that,” junior Whit Armbruster said.

Teachers also use these gadgets to their advantage by using the program Kahoot!, which is an interactive program in which teachers can make a quiz session for their students to join and compete in on their own devices. “It’s very fun to compete against my classmates and show my knowledge of the subject,” freshman Carter Studdard said.  

Mediashift.org states that 83 percent of adults own a cell phone and use it at their convernience to get information that they need quickly. In this generation, cell phones are everywhere, and they will continue to follow students throughout their lives. The ubiquitous appearance of mobile devices ensure that people will never be without one, nor will they ever have to be as they go into adulthood.

Cell phones have ruined old classroom traditions, but in their place have come newer, more efficient ways to get work done in school.

• Technology Vs. Education

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• Technology Vs. Education

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• Technology Vs. Education

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

• Technology Vs. Education

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• Technology Vs. Education

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• Technology Vs. Education

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• Technology Vs. Education

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

• Technology Vs. Education

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• Technology Vs. Education

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• Technology Vs. Education

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

Technology Vs. Education