• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

March Madness Drives Students Mad

Jimmy Sharp, News Editor

From March 17 to April 4, one thing captures the attention of Jamestown High School, as well as the entire nation. “For one month, college basketball unites the whole country,” said  Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski.

March Madness begins as a 64 team tournament, with the participating teams picked and ranked on what is known as “Selection Sunday.” On “Selection Sunday” the NCAA Division 1 men’s basketball committee meet and decide which teams can participate in the tournament, and who they will face based on the rankings that they also give them. Then there is a brief period of a few days where brackets for the tournament are filled out by anybody willing. Brackets are a 64 team tournament challenge that can be filled out by anybody.  

Many students fill out their brackets and compete with friends to see who has the best bracket. In some cases, people join large groups and pool money together that goes to the person with the bracket that has the most wins at the end of the tournament. “I was in a group with about 16 other kids, and we each put in 10 dollars,” said junior Trent Studdard, “so whoever had the best bracket ended up with 160 dollars.”

Being in school does not stop students from watching March Madness games. Various apps, such as NCAA March Madness, allow students to watch any live March Madness game on their cell phones. “I liked getting to watch games and catch up on things that I missed during lunch,” junior Michael Schmidt said.

These developments do, however, present somewhat of a problem to teachers. Teachers have to make sure that students do not become distracted in class with watching games or adjusting brackets. Mrs. Reiley said that she saw students “trying to do their brackets” in class, on occasion. With the easy access to March Madness events on cell phones, student distraction is a very real possibility.

With the conclusion of March Madness with a stunning victory by Villanova at the buzzer, over The University of North Carolina, brackets have closed and winners have been chosen. It has now been revealed whether students’ brackets have risen above their peers, or fallen to the competition.

• March Madness Drives Students Mad

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• March Madness Drives Students Mad

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• March Madness Drives Students Mad

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

• March Madness Drives Students Mad

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• March Madness Drives Students Mad

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• March Madness Drives Students Mad

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• March Madness Drives Students Mad

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

• March Madness Drives Students Mad

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• March Madness Drives Students Mad

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• March Madness Drives Students Mad

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

March Madness Drives Students Mad