• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

Price of Global Warming

Image of a glacier in Anchorage, Alaska that is slowly deteriorating.

Carmen Oquendo, Editor In Chief

There is more carbon dioxide pollution in the atmosphere today than there has been at any other time in the past 800,000 years, and the United States alone is responsible for producing a whopping 25 percent of it, according to techtimes.com, a website dedicated to current science and technology issues. While being involved in such a large amount of a world-renown deficiency, comes many consequences.

With global warming comes a price: sea levels are rising while ice caps are melting. Animals are becoming extinct, coral reefs are quickly deteriorating. And $100 billion each year is being specifically devoted to global warming-related instances alone, according to techtimes.

Jamestown students and staff are doing their small part in trying to reverse our ecologically devastating footprint. “I think that with the teachers really trying to use less paper and by recycling is a good step in the right direction in terms of global warming and helping the environment,” junior Julia Maggio said. “If the whole school was to attempt to use less paper, even the students, then maybe we would really begin to help the environment.”

Here at Jamestown High School, we implemented several ways to cut down cost while attempting to help the environment one step at a time. The school has installed hand dryers into the bathrooms as opposed to previously using paper towel dispensers, and the National Science Honor Society and Ecology Club collect recycling materials from around the school a couple of times a week.

Though these new enhancements may seem to be beneficial in terms of global warming and ecological efficiency, they are anything but.

According to slate.com, a website devoted to world matters, “typical warm-air dryer uses around 2,200 watts of power when switched on, plus about 2 watts while in standby mode. If you dry your hands for 30 seconds … then you’re using about 0.018 kilowatt-hours of electricity” slate.com said. “Do that three times a day for a year…translates into roughly 26.61 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions.”

With hand dryers deceiving their foreseen purpose of helping the environment, brings up the recycling ordeal. Recycling might be beneficial when thinking of reuse. Americans, however, have slowly become more and more careless with what they are putting into their recycling containers, creating more problems for the environment.

Today, according to Minnesota Public Radio News, a news channel dedicated to local and national news, 25 percent of trash, or non reusable products, get placed into the recycle bin, and even recycles get placed in the trash bin, too.

With this mix up, comes heavy pollutants and even more trash. When trash is placed in the recycle container, it is sometimes harmful to the recyclable products leading to  ineligible use of the materials.

Students at Jamestown need to be more aware of where they are placing their trash and recyclables. “If students here at Jamestown were to separate or even clean what they are placing in the recycles, it would make recycling a lot easier,” senior Caroline Cherry said. Together as a school and as a community, if we took the time to put things where they belong and to not waste recyclable materials, we can slowly begin to reduce our ecologically devastating footprint.

• Price of Global Warming

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• Price of Global Warming

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• Price of Global Warming

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

• Price of Global Warming

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• Price of Global Warming

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• Price of Global Warming

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• Price of Global Warming

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

• Price of Global Warming

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• Price of Global Warming

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• Price of Global Warming

Showcase

Athletes Score Big with Commitments

Price of Global Warming