• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

The+Ascent+staff+works+together+weekly+to+produce+the+magazine+this+June.+
The Ascent staff works together weekly to produce the magazine this June.

Breanna Knotts, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Are you a poet? A short story writer? A columnist? Are you working on a novel and have always dreamed of publishing? Jamestown’s literary magazine, Ascent, is still looking for submissions for its’ eighth consecutive volume coming this June.

The magazine advisers, Maeghan Christie and Tanya Graham-Galatro, said that submissions from any student should meet the theme and the requirements for original artwork or written pieces. These pieces are then published in Ascent, and sold.

Ascent is made possible only by its staff, which consists of around 10 members and meets year long.

“During the meetings, we focus mainly on advocating to get people to submit their works and putting the magazine together,” junior Nora Geer said. “We meet at least once a week after school, but when the publishing date gets closer, we meet two or three times a week.”

Every year, the staff advisers choose a theme for entries to reflect. “We chose the theme “The Lost Generation” to allow students to be creative and influential,” Mrs. Graham-Galatro said. “We also wanted to raise the number of submissions we received, and we thought that this theme would accomplish that with the number of different ways to approach it.”

The staff prefers submissions that interpret the theme in creative ways.

“This year, we have seven returners and three newcomers, and we teach them the ways of the club,” Geer said. The veterans train the newcomers and teach them to edit and put together the publication so that the magazine will continue to function smoothly even after their graduation.

“It is nice to have a place where a group of people have like interests such as literature and art, where we can all bond on similar things,” senior Lacey Wright said. Ascent brings people together who share common interests such as a love for the arts, whether it be literature, photography, drawing, or painting.

In order to be a part of the staff, students have to contact the two advisers. There are no specific requirements needed to help publish the magazine, but there is an interest meeting at the beginning of each school year. Students who attend the meeting and show a willingness to commit can join the staff.

With a staff of 11 last year, Ascent published 39 entries with the theme of “Rags to Riches,” and had a success with the magazine staff selling a number of copies. Ascent members project to have the same outcome this spring.

“We encourage students to portray their strengths in a specific piece of work and voice their opinion to a more broader audience,” Mrs. Graham-Galatro said, “The literature magazine gives students a chance to express themselves through their work made by them, and not assigned by a teacher.”

• Ascent Rises to the Occasion

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• Ascent Rises to the Occasion

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• Ascent Rises to the Occasion

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

• Ascent Rises to the Occasion

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• Ascent Rises to the Occasion

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• Ascent Rises to the Occasion

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• Ascent Rises to the Occasion

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• Ascent Rises to the Occasion

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• Ascent Rises to the Occasion

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

• Ascent Rises to the Occasion

Showcase

Athletes Score Big with Commitments

Ascent Rises to the Occasion