• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

School Store Funds Future Leaders

Charlotte Stowers and one of her FBLA members waiting for customers in the school store.

Jasmine Willis, Reporter

Outside the door of Jamestown’s school store, hungry students, with change jingling in their pockets, wait for the door to get unlocked so they can buy their snacks and make it to their next class before the bell rings. Buying snacks, drinks and occasionally school-themed apparel, students rarely think about what their money is used for.

Business and Information Technology teacher, Charlotte Stowers sponsors both the school store and Future Business Leaders of America, along with Sharon Green, Michelle Farber and Charlotte Cornell. The store was originally created because it reinforces the teachings from the business and marketing class, giving the students real world experience. Mrs. Stowers said she thoroughly enjoys the excitement of students coming in and out of the store and of students who are eager to help out.

Students who volunteer to work in the store are members of FBLA, and their participation contributes to the trips they take. Profits of the school store help fund FBLA competitions at regionals, states and nationals. They also help fund for The FBLA’s annual trip to Disney World in Florida, where they take a class in teamwork or leadership. “The students are the ones who are working towards something, so it seems fair that the money benefits them with where they are trying to go,” Mrs. Stowers said.

According to Geddes, an online website for school supplies, running a school store benefits the students by giving them business skills such as making change, calculating percentages, inventory, teamwork, responsibility, leadership and customer service. All of these abilities prepare students for jobs and continuing future careers after high school.

“The FBLA began raising funds by selling snacks in the concession stand outside the gym. From that modest beginning, and with the move to the school store, the FBLA has been able to support multiple trips and events that provide our students with great experiences and training in leadership. We’ve been able to support trips to our FBLA State Leadership Conference every year. We’ve been able to cover the cost for students to attend the FBLA National Leadership Conference on the four or five occasions our students have won the right to compete nationally. All this has made it worth the amount of time and effort it takes to run this business we call the school store,” Mrs. Cornell said.

• School Store Funds Future Leaders

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• School Store Funds Future Leaders

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• School Store Funds Future Leaders

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• School Store Funds Future Leaders

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• School Store Funds Future Leaders

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• School Store Funds Future Leaders

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

• School Store Funds Future Leaders

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• School Store Funds Future Leaders

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• School Store Funds Future Leaders

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

• School Store Funds Future Leaders

Showcase

Athletes Score Big with Commitments

School Store Funds Future Leaders