• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

Students Explore The Lives Of Police Officers

%5BLeft+to+Right%5D+Sophomore+Morgan+Dorrion%2C+Senior+Elizabeth+Jackson%2C+Officer+Ferriero%2C+Junior+Matthew+Starbuck%2C+Freshman+Culiean+Embly+and+Jonathan+Starbuck.+
[Left to Right] Sophomore Morgan Dorrion, Senior Elizabeth Jackson, Officer Ferriero, Junior Matthew Starbuck, Freshman Culiean Embly and Jonathan Starbuck.

Arianna Reynolds, Editor

Jamestown and Warhill High School team up to experience the lives of police officers. Jamestown High School recently joined with the local James City County Police Department to form The Police Explorers Program for students with an interest in learning more about being a future police officer.

Meeting once a month, the program shows what a typical day is like for a WJCC police officer. “It is recommended for anyone who is interested in anything in the law enforcement arena,” said Jamestown Resource Officer Mike Ferriero. The information extended to the students throughout this program includes training and learning about the skills and abilities every police officer needs to master.

The Police Explorers Program hopes to pull more students towards the law enforcement career path through giving vital information about the job. “This program is a way to get students involved in the capacity of a police officer…it shows everything down to what the training is like as well,” said Ferriero. The Police Explorers Program also urges students who have not yet decided what the future holds, in hopes of enjoying the program and choosing law enforcement.

While in the program, students will have the opportunity to experience a different scene almost every month. “We will be taking a tour of the jail one month, and taking a tour of the police headquarters another month,” said Ferriero. Students will also learn many skills needed to become a police officer such as learning how to analyze crime scenes and how to clear a building.

In order to become a police officer, the first step one must take is to get hired by the county. Then, a person would have to be sponsored by the police academy, which will pay for their 16 weeks of training before becoming a police officer.

Jamestown freshman Culiean Embly, sophomore Morgan Dorrion, freshman Jonathan Starbuck, junior Matthew Starbuck, and senior Elizabeth Jackson are all members of the Police Explorers Program, which will continue until June 6, 2016. Dorrion said, “[I think] it will look good on my college applications… since I am interested in the field, it will help me out in the future.” The program is an excellent opportunity for students who wish to get a head start on learning just what it takes to become a Police Officer.

• Students Explore The Lives Of Police Officers

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

Showcase

Evan Lowery

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

Opinion

Price of Global Warming