• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

Gas Prices Stay Low In James City County

Jimmy Sharp, Editor

For the first time since May of 2009, gas prices in James City County are averaging less than 2 dollars a gallon. For most Jamestown drivers this is opening new doors for travel and extracurricular activities.

The lower gas prices have been going down due to the decrease of crude oil prices. The oil prices have been falling for several reasons, including the increase in U.S. oil production and weaker growth in global oil demand. “I don’t care how the gas prices got so low, but I’m glad they are,” said junior Trent Studdard. Whatever the reasons may be, Jamestown drivers seem happy they have happened.

Closest to Jamestown, the BP and Shell gas stations on John Tyler Highway are popular amongst students. For the past month, both gas stations have steadily remained around the $1.90-$1.99 range and are not expected to drastically increase. According to U.S. News, the price per barrel of crude oil is either continuing to go down, or remaining the same.

The Jamestown students most affected are those living in Kingsmill and other neighborhoods further away from the school.  Traveling to school with cheaper gas prices has allowed students to arrive at school on a much more lenient budget. Junior Dylan Shannon said, “since gas prices are lower, commuting from Kingsmill costs much less than it used to which I like a lot.” From Jamestown to Kingsmill it is roughly 9.2 miles each way, using approximately a gallon of gas.

With more than 270 student drivers at Jamestown, gas is an expense known by many. Junior Mitchell Mahoney said, “now that gas is cheaper it only takes around 16 dollars to fill up my Honda civic,” he continues, “it used to take close to $25.” The main roads in Williamsburg, like Monticello Ave. or Richmond Rd. require a significance of stop and go driving, generally using more gas than highway driving, is now a cheaper endeavor than before.

Gas plays a major factor in teen driving. If gas prices continue to drop, a range of opportunities will reveal themselves as many students are able to travel farther and expand their horizons. Gas is now half the price in the U.S. than that of Europe, and it seems that American teenagers are utilizing this opportunity and driving more.

• Gas Prices Stay Low In James City County

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

Showcase

Evan Lowery

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

Opinion

Price of Global Warming