• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

Varsity Volleyball Blocks The Competition

Varsity Volleyball huddles during a match against Lafayette, where they defeated the Rams 3-0 for the second time this season.

Rocco Colafrancesco, Editor

The Jamestown varsity volleyball team has achieved a district title for ten seasons since the school opened in 1997. The lady eagles fell short last year as they lost in the semifinals to Loudoun County High school. With our success this year, volleyball hopes to achieve their first state championship.

Although the eagles lost three starters last year, the sophomores have earned their spot on the varsity team. “They’ve been a great addition to the team; they bring a lot of aggression and competition and overall make the team better as a whole,” said senior Maddie Spence.  Sophomores Madison Kolda, Marissa Cambell, Madison Pettengell and Emma Schriner have a strong presence on the court, with Schriner receiving multiple college scholarship offers.

Although the state championship has been out of reach in the past, the cheering crowd and work ethic of the players make success possible this season. “We typically practice 3 times a week in addition to playing 2 matches per week,” said volleyball coach Tom Stephenson. “The keys to success this season have been excellent ball control allowing us to run our offense and a great sense of camaraderie among the players,” he continued. Stephenson has coached 11 seasons and has helped win over 250 matches throughout his career.

In addition to the team’s skill and hard work, the enthusiastic crowd plays a role in their success. “We [Gang Green] provide a student body and support the ladies on the team,” said senior Brad Vandygriff.  Jamestown’s Gang Green student section continues to show support, giving the players a boost of confidence as they compete.

The eagles only have one thing on their mind for the season, “Win a state championship,” said sophomores Madison Pettengell and Emma Schriner.  The eagles currently have a record of 15-1 in district play. The team is currently ranked number one in the state of Virginia for the first time in school history. The Eagles hope to finish their season off victoriously with their first state championship beginning on Monday, Nov. 2.

• Varsity Volleyball Blocks The Competition

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

Showcase

Evan Lowery

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

Opinion

Price of Global Warming