• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

Jamestown Hires A New ‘AD’dition

Athletic director Kenny Edwards helps take down the score table after a volleyball match.

Maria Esch, Editor

With fall sports rapidly approaching, Kenneth Edwards, an athlete, coach, and father, stepped up and became an Eagle as our new athletic director. After the retirement of Don Samuels, our school was faced with an opening for a staff member dedicated to the excellence of Jamestown’s athletic department.

Edwards heard about the Athletic Director’s position through the newspaper. “Well, I was reading through the Daily Press, and I saw where the basketball coach, football coach, and athletic director all retired on the same day, and it caught my eye,” said Edwards. Jamestown High School has always been on his radar, even while living in the Virginia Beach area. Edwards recognized Jamestown High School as a “notoriously athletic school,” with over twenty-three state titles in eighteen years.

Edwards comes with over twenty-eight years of athletic experience in his repertoire, making him an ideal replacement. Upon his arrival, Edwards was taken aback by the achievements of the students. “It was very impressive to see students who were both great athletes and great students,” said Edwards.   Prior to coming to Jamestown, Edwards served many years as a coach for men’s and women’s basketball at both the high school and college level.

Before becoming a coach, Edwards was a player himself, playing basketball and baseball among many other sports. Edwards’ proclivity towards sports was due to the influence from his father, a former basketball coach. According to our principal Cathy Worley, “He’s doing a great job. He comes with a lot of experience, energy, and passion about student athletics.” To Edwards, sports have gone past the point of a hobby to becoming his profession.

Senior volleyball captain Maddie Spence said, “You can tell he really cares about the athletes at the school …He’s a great addition to the eagle family!” Spence finds herself around Edwards often as he helps support the volleyball program alongside other sports.

According to math teacher and golf coach Doug Meredith, Edwards has, “…brought so much positive energy to athletics at Jamestown.”  Meredith expresses that Edwards wants nothing more than Jamestown athletics to succeed and knows Edwards will do his best to support our student athletes as much as possible.

Edwards expresses his desire to help teams improve every day. Edwards also plans to, “…help [the coaches] in terms of support, and also in term of equipment… we want to be cutting edge.” Edwards genuinely feels that our coaches, in their respective sports, are the best in the state and he looks forwards to getting to know them further.

• Jamestown Hires A New ‘AD’dition

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• Jamestown Hires A New ‘AD’dition

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• Jamestown Hires A New ‘AD’dition

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

• Jamestown Hires A New ‘AD’dition

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• Jamestown Hires A New ‘AD’dition

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• Jamestown Hires A New ‘AD’dition

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• Jamestown Hires A New ‘AD’dition

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

• Jamestown Hires A New ‘AD’dition

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• Jamestown Hires A New ‘AD’dition

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• Jamestown Hires A New ‘AD’dition

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

Jamestown Hires A New ‘AD’dition