• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

757Swim Dives Into Williamsburg

757Swim members practice at the Williamsburg Community Pool.

Carmen Oquendo, Editor-in-Chief

Jamestown swimmers prove their dedication and love for swimming by joining a Williamsburg team during the off season. The Williamsburg community welcomed a new swim team into the town on Sept. 9 called 757Swim. 757Swim was created as an alternate swim program option for elite swimmers, with the majority of members from our very own Jamestown swim team.

The swim team’s schedule is rigorous, practicing Monday through Saturday for roughly two hours a day. In addition to practicing at the Williamsburg Community Pool, they attend Marmon Muscle Crossfit, providing an alternative way to train alongside swimming for an hour each day.

Although Williamsburg is the home to already established swim teams, like the Williamsburg Aquatic Club and the Coast Guard Blue Dolphins, the coaches of 757Swim felt that change to the swim atmosphere in Williamsburg was necessary. Senior Margaret Williams explains, “The 757Swim swim team brought change to Williamsburg by introducing new swim training techniques and more variety to the practice schedule.”  At Marmon Muscle Crossfit, the swimmers have unique exercises such as hex bar dead lifts and air bikes.

The effect of the new swim team on the community has been significant. Senior Hannah Clymer said, “The team has already become so close through previous years of Jamestown swimming. Being on 757Swim means that almost all of our swimmers are together even more than they were before.” Jamestown swimmers are now given the opportunity to swim on two teams together throughout the school year.

In addition to the community, the team has positively influenced the swimmers attitude toward the sport. Junior Nikki Tyler said, “The coaches and swimmers are so supportive. High fives are always being thrown around, along with “Good Jobs!” Not only does the swim team have an encouraging coaching staff, but also dedicated swimmers with a love for the sport.

Some swimmers have already made the commitment to swim in college. Seniors Margaret Williams and Colin Wright committed to The College of William and Mary. “I am super excited to be a part of the William and Mary swim team. The team is basically a big family. The 757Swim swim team coaches have been so supportive of me and my decision by continuing to help me train so that in August I will be ready to be a part of the Tribe,” Williams said. Although the decision to commit to swim in college can be overwhelming, receiving the ultimate offer makes all of the time and effort worth it.

With only two months of practices thus far, 757Swim has proven successful with faster swim times and college recognition. The swimmers, along with the coaches, are hopeful for continuous months of prosperous practices, more committed swimmers, and another robust Jamestown swim season in November.

• 757Swim Dives Into Williamsburg

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• 757Swim Dives Into Williamsburg

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• 757Swim Dives Into Williamsburg

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

• 757Swim Dives Into Williamsburg

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• 757Swim Dives Into Williamsburg

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• 757Swim Dives Into Williamsburg

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• 757Swim Dives Into Williamsburg

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

• 757Swim Dives Into Williamsburg

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• 757Swim Dives Into Williamsburg

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• 757Swim Dives Into Williamsburg

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

757Swim Dives Into Williamsburg