• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

Touchdown With Coach Brown

Head Coach Donnell Brown, assistant coaches and players cheer from the sidelines during a home game against Lafayette.

Kailey Smith, Staff Writer

Jamestown’s football team has a kick in their step due to the addition of the new football coach Donnell Brown. After teaching for three years and coaching for five years in Virginia Beach, Brown moves to the Williamsburg area for the coaching position at Jamestown High School with his twin brother Ronnell Brown, coaching together for three years.

Coach Brown brings an abundance of excitement to the football program with this year, with off season workouts and team bonding meals before every game.  Brown takes joy in coaching the game he loves, “It was a great opportunity to mentor young students and teach them the game,” said Brown. He wants his knowledge and love for the game to leave a lasting impression on the players.

Coach Brown likes the football program at Jamestown and enjoys working with the coaching staff. Assistant Coach Varacallo said, “Coach Brown does a great job, he has brought a great, much needed attitude to the program.”   The assistant football coaches Ronnell Brown, Jerry Varacallo, DJ Varacallo, Joey Wood, Walter Kruger and Scott Vinson all work together with the team to create a successful season.

Like the coaching staff, the players embrace Coach Brown and feel comfortable with him. “Coach Brown is someone I feel that I can go to for anything. He’s a good guy all around. He jokes, but he also knows when to be serious and to the point,” said junior Russell Schugeld. The players have learned many things from Coach Brown on and off the football field.

Brown shows the team the importance of hard work and persistence, regardless of the scoreboard. “Instead of worrying about everyone else in the district, he worked mainly to improve us and our fundamentals. He also is big on pushing us to our limits and being physical every single play,” said senior CJ Delfico. Brown’s strategies have proven effective with this season’s significant improvement.

The team has developed compared to last season, scoring 105 points in six games as opposed to only 39 points for the entire 2014 season. “We’ve worked hard every day and we have been motivated by our coaches and others to keep progressing,” said junior Marjia Lewis. Freshman Luke Wilder, sophomore Tyler Highly, juniors Zach Pennycuff, Tyler McMullen, Rashaun Jones and Lewis and senior Mark Lipscomb have contributed to the team’s success with many touchdowns.

The Eagles snapped their 17 game losing streak with a 14-7 win over the Bruton Panthers on October 16. “It feels amazing and I am hungry for more!” said senior Mark Lipscomb. This is the team’s first win since Lipscomb’s sophomore year.

Coach Brown has immensely impacted the team and has big plans to continue to advance Jamestown football. “I plan to build the team by focusing on the fundamentals, becoming better students, better citizens, and better players, and that way we can win in the classroom, in the community, and on the football field.” The Eagle community is appreciative of Coach Brown and looks forward to what he will bring in the future.

• Touchdown With Coach Brown

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• Touchdown With Coach Brown

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• Touchdown With Coach Brown

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

• Touchdown With Coach Brown

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• Touchdown With Coach Brown

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• Touchdown With Coach Brown

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• Touchdown With Coach Brown

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

• Touchdown With Coach Brown

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• Touchdown With Coach Brown

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• Touchdown With Coach Brown

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

Touchdown With Coach Brown