• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

Take 757 Hit The High School Note

[Left to Right] Jamestown junior Nick Geer, Governor's School of the Art's Hamed Barbarji, Lafayette's Jesse Katz, and Jamestown junior Eliza Geer form Take 757.

Caroline Larson, Staff Writer

While most students are reaching for earphones or an auxiliary cord to play music, four local teens are taking a more hands-on approach. Take 757, who take their name from their area code and an old Dave Brubeck song, “Take Five,” is a jazz group composed of four local high school musicians.

Jamestown Juniors Eliza Geer and Nick Geer, Governor’s School for the Arts student Hamed Barbarji, and Lafayette’ s Jesse Katz, found a common love and appreciation for jazz through middle school band. “We all originally met in our middle school jazz band, and jazz has a lot of history behind it, a lot of stories,” said Eliza. All four members currently participate in their school’s music programs.

Playing local gigs, such as the Williamsburg Farmers market, Hogarth’s Bar & Bistro, and Second Sunday made the group a local favorite. Junior Victoria Brunson enjoys their music and said, “They are fantastic, fresh. [Their sound is] truly new, innovative, [they’re] impressive.”  They are a growing part of a local, youth driven music scene, joining acts like rapper Houston Heard and singer/songwriter Kate Stedlebauer, both Jamestown seniors.

While jazz may not labeled as the typical high school style, it does not worry Eliza. “If you have a passion it’s definitely worth pursuing, whether it’s deemed as cool or not… it’s just a matter of [doing] what you love to do, and you’ll be happy doing it,” said Eliza. Their jazz genre is diverse, playing Bossa, Swing, Be-bop, and Blues, with Eliza as their pianists, Barbarji on Trumpet, Nick playing drums and Katz on bass.

Coming together through pit orchestra, blues groups and school band, the four members found a devotion to music, a dedication so deep the members all plan on pursuing music professionally. While the looming future may scare some, Take 757 find comfort in their music, even if they can only pick up their instrument for a few minutes a day. “If you’re an artist, you have a duty to keep working on it to be the best you can be,” said Eliza, “…If it’s something that’s important to you, you need to make time for it, there’s always things you can work on and improve on.” The idea of a future in music is hardly far-fetched as two former members, trombonist Adam Davy and saxophonist Josh Golub, are currently studying music education and performance arts in college since graduating from Lafayette.

Take 757 is playing First Night, an annual New Year’s celebration, at Kimball Theater on December 31, from 3-5 p.m. Information on their upcoming smaller gigs is updated on Facebook and Instagram, @take757music, and can also be found on their twitter page, @take757.

• Take 757 Hit The High School Note

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• Take 757 Hit The High School Note

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• Take 757 Hit The High School Note

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

• Take 757 Hit The High School Note

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• Take 757 Hit The High School Note

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• Take 757 Hit The High School Note

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• Take 757 Hit The High School Note

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

• Take 757 Hit The High School Note

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• Take 757 Hit The High School Note

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• Take 757 Hit The High School Note

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

Take 757 Hit The High School Note