• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

On The Web With Tori Dayton

Dayton and Rozek create a one-sentence story on their website, sentenceworthy.com, with the caption,

Dayton and Rozek create a one-sentence story on their website, sentenceworthy.com, with the caption, "From rubble, wreckage, and sweat, a new hope is born."

Carmen Oquendo, Editor-in-Chief

After years of looking up to Sylvia Plath, Harper Lee, and Edgar Allen Poe for their inspiring work, at age thirteen, Tori Dayton made the decision to take her poetry and story writing to the next level. Ever since Dayton was young, writing was her favorite thing to do and turning this passion into a career was her definite future.

Dayton was able to kick start her writing career when former Jamestown student and best friend Brandon Rozek helped create her own website domain, www.toridayton.com.  Dayton said, “The website has definitely brought me a sense of deadlines and working within a time period to get out a new post, which has made me really focus. I also have found that sharing my work and getting to see how many people are able to experience it has made it feel less like a secret hobby and more of a true passion and art.” Dayton has gained many useful skills with the formation of her own website featuring various works she has written for the public to enjoy.

Dayton’s first poem published was titled, “A Poet Is,” and was posted to her website on Jan. 5, which was the initial start that kicked her website into high gear. From that moment on, Dayton has posted several different forms of writing such as haikus, monologues, narratives, poems, one sentence stories, small truths, ten words or less, and tori bot. Today she has over 50 different pieces of work for her readers.

One of Dayton’s preferred forms of writing is called Tori Bot, a program made by Dayton herself consisting of taking already made poems and simultaneously creating lines from them. Dayton said, “Tori bot is a program designed by Brandon that takes my 10 most recent poems and chooses random words and lines to generate. Then, I take what was generated and create a new poem out of them.” This program is an easy way to continue her writing, even when she has writer’s block.

Although Dayton is only a senior in high school, she has high expectations for her website and more specifically her writing career. Dayton explained, “What I want most from the creation of my website is for people to read and enjoy my work. I want them to connect to it and find a part of themselves in my writing every time.” Dayton allows readers to feel involved with the work she puts online for all to see.

Aside from Tori’s website, she is also working on a project with her web designer that is known as, “Sentence Worthy,” which can be seen on www.sentenceworthy.com. Together, the two create one word sentence stories with corresponding photos.

While Dayton creates the one word sentence stories, Rozek captures photos to bring the stories to life and give them an image to connect with the story. The main theme of the Sentence Worthy project is, “Every picture is worth a sentence.” Dayton has high hopes that she and Brandon will gain many viewers, both on this website and her own.

For five years, Dayton has been creating and displaying her writings online for all to see, with many more to come. Dayton has high hopes in the future for all her work to eventually lead to a long-term career in the field of writing.

• On The Web With Tori Dayton

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• On The Web With Tori Dayton

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• On The Web With Tori Dayton

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

• On The Web With Tori Dayton

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• On The Web With Tori Dayton

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• On The Web With Tori Dayton

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• On The Web With Tori Dayton

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

• On The Web With Tori Dayton

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• On The Web With Tori Dayton

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• On The Web With Tori Dayton

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

On The Web With Tori Dayton