• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

Jamestown Gives Back For Thanks”Giving”

Officer Ferriero poses with the items brought in for the food drive to give to local families in need.

Carson Smith, Editor

While Thanksgiving brings large feasts and major sales across the country, Thanksgiving is also a time for giving back to the community. Each year, individuals and organizations across the country come up with their own ways of giving back. Whether it is organizing a coat drive, or simply donating money, everyone can find a way to make their community a better place.

As our way of giving back to the community, Jamestown, along with the help of the James City County Police Department, participated in a school-wide food drive to help provide food for local families in need. Running from October 29 to November 13, students were encouraged to bring in non-perishable food items to work towards the goal of “stuffing” Officer Ferriero’s police cruiser.

As a friendly competition, Jamestown also challenged students to see whose first block class could bring in the largest quantity of the food items they were assigned. Math teacher Patricia Ridley’s AP Calculus class won, bringing in around 100 boxes of stuffing.

Jamestown collected a total of 532 food items, almost doubling the amount brought in by both Warhill and Lafayette high school combined. Officer Ferriero said it feels good, “to provide meals for families that cannot provide one for themselves.”  Once the food items were collected, they were brought to the police department, who then distributed the items to local James City County churches. The churches handed out the items to families in need, and in some cases even prepared the food as well.

Many students who participated in the food drive feel as if giving back brings the community together. Junior Matt Borg said, “The food drive helps all aspects of the community. Families can bond together over helping and people in need can get the resources they require.” According to the American Farm Bureau Federation, the average Thanksgiving dinner for a family of 10 will cost around $50, not including the cost for other cooking essentials, like butter, milk, sugar, or flour.

As another way of giving back to the community, Jamestown has continued to encourage participation from staff to make pledges to the United Way of Greater Williamsburg. This organization provides support for many local organizations, such as Meals On Wheels, Big Brothers Big Sisters, The Girl Scouts of Colonial Coast, and many more.  The United Way of Greater Williamsburg also supports local food drives, in addition to providing shelter for homeless families in the area.

Staff member and United Way sponsor Kimberly Suter said, “Without the support of the many caring teachers here at Jamestown who pledge their money to the United Way, needy families in the area would go without the necessities that help improve their daily life.”

While Jamestown has made an effort to help out the community this holiday season, students can still go the extra mile by making an impact outside of the school. One can volunteer their time to local food drives, as well as pledging their own money to charities of their choice for the sake of remaining in the giving-spirit this holiday season.

• Jamestown Gives Back For Thanks”Giving”

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

Showcase

Evan Lowery

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

Jamestown Gives Back For Thanks”Giving”