• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

The Force Awakens Jamestown Students

photo from starwars.com

photo from starwars.com

Jimmy Sharp, Editor

Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens has already broken records before it has even reached theatres. In just the first 24 hours tickets were available, the film grossed 6.5 million dollars nationwide. This is roughly more than two times that of pre-order ticket sales of The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, and The Hunger Games, whose combined revenue held the previous record at 3 million dollars, according to screenrant.com.

The first movie of the series came out in 1977 and after 38 years the seventh installment is set to be released in December. Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens is geared to all audiences including those who have been long time Star Wars fans, as well as people who are new to the series. Tickets for the movie can be purchased in advance at the New Town movie theatre in person or online at fandango.com, a popular website and app that sells movie tickets. Thanks to the enthusiastic support from the fans, the franchise has been able to continue producing films for almost 40 years.

Star Wars VII  is set 30 years after the end of Star Wars VI: Return Of The Jedi and follows the exploits of Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and many new faces, including Finn (John Boyega),  Rey (Daisy Ridley), Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac), and others as they face a new threat, Kylo Ren(Adam Driver), and his army of storm troopers.  

Jamestown students are no strangers to the upcoming film. “I already bought my ticket in advance for the midnight premiere,” said junior Trent Studdard. He is one of many who are looking forward to the premiere this December 18 and one of the few who were able to purchase a ticket online in time.

The early premiere is especially anticipated, which is evident by the huge turnout this trend often brings. New Town Cinemas employee senior Liam Keating said, “Over 1,000 tickets have already been bought just for the Dec. 17 premiere.” These enormous sale numbers are no surprise for Star Wars, as it is one of the most popular movie franchises in the industry’s history, having a total franchise gross of around 37 billion dollars over the course of almost 40 years.

Some students at Jamestown plan on attending showings of the movie dressed up in assorted Star Wars costumes. Junior Ashby Walls said, “I’m going to dress up as a jedi with a couple of my friends.”  This has become a tradition among much of the fan base for the past Star Wars premieres.

Fans have found themselves attached to the series for so long because of the connection they feel to the story. Fans are able to transport themselves to another universe of action and adventure by just tuning in to the films. Every action scene, every line of dialogue, and every light saber battle has influenced the immense success of the series.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is catching not only the attention of Jamestown students, but the attention of worldwide audiences. This movie is highly anticipated and will be held to a high standard due to the success of the six previous movies. The only question is, will Star Wars VII exceed expectations or will it fall short of everyone’s high hopes?

• The Force Awakens Jamestown Students

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• The Force Awakens Jamestown Students

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• The Force Awakens Jamestown Students

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

• The Force Awakens Jamestown Students

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• The Force Awakens Jamestown Students

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• The Force Awakens Jamestown Students

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• The Force Awakens Jamestown Students

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

• The Force Awakens Jamestown Students

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• The Force Awakens Jamestown Students

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• The Force Awakens Jamestown Students

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

The Force Awakens Jamestown Students