• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

No Shave November Grows Awareness

Senior Journey Hart participates in No Shave November in support of cancer awareness.

Kailey Smith, Staff Writer

Bearded faces and unshaved legs raise cancer awareness with the participation of No Shave November. Both men and women refrain from shaving in hopes of raising money and awareness of Prostate and Testicular Cancer.

No Shave November is also referred to as “Movember,” “mo” being short for mustache. This term originated in Australia in 2003 and now takes place in 21 countries. Men and women around the world participate by letting their hair grow freely the entire month of November. According to the Movember Foundation, 20.1 million dollars were donated last year in the United States after participants donated the money they do not spend on shaving to various Cancer Societies, which are then put toward research to end these deadly diseases.

Prostate Cancer is the second most common cancer in men in the United States, affecting nearly three million males from ages 40 and above per year. Testicular Cancer is less common, with about 20,000 cases in males ages 15 to 40 in the United States per year, but this number is quickly increasing, with the rate of diagnosis doubling in the last 50 years.

Our very own swim team also participates in this annual tradition. “Not shaving creates drag, but even though we will be slower this month, it is for a good cause,” said junior Nikki Tyler. Although success on a swim team relies on the fastest swim times, the team sacrifices the potential higher numbers to promote awareness.

Many miss the concept of No Shave November, simply participating to avoid shaving or to compete with friends.  “We embrace the hair that most cancer patients lose. It is a unique way to raise awareness and I think that many people miss the point of it,” said junior Haley Mardis. Several also may not realize No Shave November is also gender neutral. According to the Statistics Brain Research Institute, the average woman shaves 12 times a month, spending about 15 dollars and 95 cents, so women around the world can also contribute to the movement by not shaving.

Over 5 million people participate and donate to cancer societies in support of cancer fighters, survivors, and those who lost their lives to this deadly disease. In addition to Prostate and Testicular Cancer, there are over 100 different types of cancer, all needing donations to contribute toward more research and resources to continue finding a cure. One can make a difference by donating money to various Cancer societies, such as Prostate Cancer Foundation, Cancer Treatment Research, The American Cancer Society, the LIVESTRONG Foundation, and the Movember Foundation.

• No Shave November Grows Awareness

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

• No Shave November Grows Awareness

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

• No Shave November Grows Awareness

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

• No Shave November Grows Awareness

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

• No Shave November Grows Awareness

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

• No Shave November Grows Awareness

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

• No Shave November Grows Awareness

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

• No Shave November Grows Awareness

Showcase

Evan Lowery

• No Shave November Grows Awareness

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

• No Shave November Grows Awareness

Opinion

Price of Global Warming

No Shave November Grows Awareness