• Final Exams begin on Friday, June 10 through Friday, June 17

• Graduation is on Saturday, June 18 at 5:00 pm at William & Mary Hall

The student news site of Jamestown High School

The Eagle Eye

“Mockingjay Part Two” Dominates The Box Office

Junior Savannah Lodwick and senior Maddie Spence pose outside the theatre after watching the final installment of The Hunger Games film saga.

Maria Esch, Editor

After the release of three successful installations of the Hunger Games franchise, each making over 120 million dollars in box office sales, the much-anticipated conclusion, Mockingjay part two, was expected to continue these blockbuster margins.

The Hunger Games franchise has remained one of the most prominent names in Young Adult Fiction since the release of its first book in 2008. Fans across the globe have found themselves falling for the unique setting, relatable characters, and rollercoaster of a plotline that follows the young Katniss Everdeen and her journey to end the tyrannical reign of the malicious President Snow.

The final installation of the movie saga picks up in the middle of a full scale revolution in Katniss’ home country of Panem. After being forced into two separate gladiator-style contests called the Hunger Games, Katniss joins with an undercover rebel organization, District 13, to overthrow the Capitol. Katniss finds herself concluding the epic battle for the boy she loves, a brighter future for the citizens of Panem, and her own sanity.

Fans of the franchise were eager to see the much-anticipated conclusion of the series. Junior Hannah Piatak shared that she loved the series’ survival aspect. She also gushed, “Who doesn’t love a good romance?” Many other fans had been eager to see a more action-packed finale, compared to the more suspenseful Mockingjay part one. All told, fans were held in great anticipation over the upcoming film.

Viewers were wowed by the film’s ability to have such a strong poignant pull while still following an action-based plot.  Junior Zach Pennycuff explained that Mockingjay was, “An emotional journey from beginning to end.” Pennycuff shared the theater with many other Jamestown students on the night of the November 19 premiere.

For many, the film was considered a quality and strong conclusion to the series. Senior Maddie Spence said, “I’m speechless. [Mockingjay was the] Best movie I have ever seen.” Spence, who had not read the books prior to seeing the film, was floored by its numerous heart-wrenching turns.

For many who had read the books, the film adaption was a welcome conclusion to the series due to its abundance of direct book quotes. In many series, directors attempt to doctor the movie in order to create “flow” on screen, and while the movie had some minor differentiations, it remained very true to the original novel. Additionally, the moving performances of Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss Everdeen) and Josh Hutcherson (Peeta Mellark) gave the film a shockingly realistic element, which many feel increases the reach of the film beyond the intended young adult audience.

Between the film’s beautifully crafted score and the well-timed action scenes, Mockingjay Part Two exceeded expectations for fans of the series. Because of the rapid-fire action sequences, audiences were able to experience tragedy like Katniss would: abruptly and without time to mourn. This gave the film an element of realism that was able to connect audiences more to the film’s dystopian setting.

This film acts as an emotional and action-packed conclusion to draw the popular Hunger Games film saga to a grand close, grossing over 100 million dollars in the opening weekend alone. Mockingjay Part Two provides a tough act to follow for similar films in the Young Adult genre in the near future.

• “Mockingjay Part Two” Dominates The Box Office

Showcase

New Electives Chosen for the Students, by the students

Showcase

Riders Gallop into Summer

Showcase

School Store Funds Future Leaders

Showcase

ReLaxin Cause We’re Laxin

Showcase

Jamestown Career Fair Brings Jobs Galore

Showcase

The AP Dilemma

Entertainment

Ascent Rises to the Occasion

Showcase

Evan Lowery

Showcase

Jamestown Tennis Hopes to Ace Another Season

Opinion

Price of Global Warming